LIONS LOOKING TO DOWN THE WILDCATS AND RAMBELLES
A&M-Commerce Lions vs. Abilene Christian Wildcats
Wednesday, January 11 • 6 p.m.
The Field House • Abilene, Texas
Records: A&M-Commerce (1-11, 0-6 LSC); Abilene Christian (6-7, 1-6 LSC)
A&M-Commerce Lions at Angelo State Rambelles
Saturday, January 14 • 5:30 p.m.
Stephens Arena • San Angelo, Texas
Records: A&M-Commerce (1-11, 0-6 LSC); Angelo State (7-6, 5-2 LSC)
The Lions are looking to shake off a pair of conference losses, and get back into the conference race by hosting the Wildcats of Abilene Christian on Wednesday, January 11th 6:00 PM, and then making the long trek to San Angelo, Texas to take on the Rambelles on Saturday, January 14th at 5:30 PM.
Lions On The Web
Lion basketball fans will be able to keep up with all the action this week in a pair of Lone Star Conference matches. J.P. Heath resuming his play-by-play duties against both Abilene Christian and Angelo State on KETR 88.9 FM and you can follow online at KETR.org. The live stats for both games will be available at LionAthletics.com.
Scouting the Wildcats
2011-12: 6-7 overall, 1-6 Lone Star.
Last Three Games: W vs. Southwestern Oklahoma (64-57), L vs. Incarnate Word (58-68), L at A&M-Kingsville (72-78).
Head Coach: Shawna Lavender (Southern Methodist, '97). Ninth season at Abilene Christian (137-97, .414); Ninth season overall (137-97, .414).
Wildcats Key Players:
• Kelsey Smith (Jr., C): 186 pts. (14.3 avg.), 44.9 FG pct., 88 reb. (6.8 avg.), 14 ast., 12 stl., 28 blk.
• Mack Lankford (So., G): 147 pts. (18.4 avg.), 36.2 FG pct., 33.3 3FG pct., 26 reb. (3.3 avg.), 19 ast., 9 stl.
• Renata Marquez (So., F): 141 pts. (11.1 avg.), 37.8 FG pct., 80 reb. (6.7 avg.), 31 ast., 21 stl., 3 blk.
• Paige Parliament (Fr., C): 126 pts. (9.7 avg.) 52.4 FG pct., 65 reb. (5.0 avg.), 7 blk.
• Cecilee Perez (Jr., G): 79 pts. (6.1 avg.) 27.1 FG pct., 63.6 FT pct., 42 reb. (3.2 avg.), 3 ast., 1 stl.
The last time the Lions met ACU was last season on December 4th and they suffered an 88-85 loss. The Wildcats are currently on a 2 game winning streak over the Lions. ACU currently is leading the series with a dominating 50-10 record. The last time the Lions defeated the Wildcats was during the Lone Star Conference Tournament back in 2007 season with the Lions barely edging out the Wildcats 76-74.
Scouting the Rambelles
2011-12: 7-6 overall, 5-2 Lone Star.
Last Three Games: L at West Texas A&M (53-57), W vs. A&M-Kingsville (68-47), W vs Incarnate Word (63-57).
Head Coach: Sally Walling-Brooks (Midwestern State, '88). Eleventh season at Angelo State (224-100, .308); Nineteenth season overall (379-206, .648).
Rambelles Key Players:
• Haylee Oliver (Fr., F): 150 pts. (11.5 avg.), 45.5 FG pct., 86.2 FT pct., 61 reb. (4.7 avg.), 14 stl.
• Paige Weishuhn (Sr., C): 123 pts. (11.2 avg.), 43.9 FG pct., 28.6 3FG pct., 61.7 FT pct., 69 reb. (6.3 avg.), 18 blk., 9 stl.
• Morgan Youngblood (Jr., F): 108 pts. (8.3 avg.), 37.8 FG pct., 72 reb. (5.5 avg.), 20 ast., 22 stl.
• Lauren Holt (Fr., F): 101 pts. (7.8 avg.), 38.5 FG pct., 86 reb. (6.6 avg.), 15 blk., 7 stl.
• Leah LeMaire (So., G): 88 pts. (6.8 avg.), 30.5 FG pct., 32 reb. (2.5 avg.), 15 ast., 10 stl.
The Rambelles dealt the Lions a tough loss when they met last season 95-69. This led to the Rambelles current winning streak of only one game. Angelo State is barely leading the overall series 40-36. The Last time the Lions defeated the Rambelles was in a heated overtime victory 88-80 in 2010 season
Harris Continues the Domination for A&M-Commerce
Sophomore Breanna Harris has been a key contributor early in the season for A&M-Commerce, ranking second on the team in points per game (9.9) while leading the Lions in rebounds per game (9.6). Against Newman, Harris scored 14 points while pulling down 11 rebounds, including seven offensive for her fourh double-double of the season. She notched double-doubles against Central State (Nov. 26), at Incarnate Word (Dec. 7) and at Texas Woman's (Dec. 13) most recently when the Lion's hosted Eastern New Mexico (Jan. 7), including opening up her A&M-Commerce career with 17 points at Southeastern Oklahoma, a career-best.
Dixon Launches the Lion Offensive Attack
Sophomore Danielle Dixon has been the focal point of the A&M-Commerce offense in 2011, averaging 13.3 points per game to lead the Lions. She has recorded double figures in ten of the Lions' first 11 games, including a season-high 23 points against Newman on December 29. Dixon ranks eleventh in the conference in points per game, averaging 13.3 while ranking among the conference leaders in a handful of other categories.
After the Lions battle the Rambelles, they will return home to host the TexAnns of Tarleton State on Saturday, January 14th at 6:00 PM. After their home game against the TexAnns, they will turn around and go to Stephenville to face the TexAnns at Wisdom Gym on January 21st at 5:00 PM.