2012 Tarleton Volleyball Invitational
Wisdom Gym/Tarleton Rec Center • Stephenville, Texas
Friday, Sept. 7 and Saturday, Sept. 8
A&M-Commerce (4-0) vs. Ouachita Baptist (0-4)
Friday, Sept. 7 • 12 p.m.
A&M-Commerce (4-0) vs. Southeastern Oklahoma State (0-4)
Friday, Sept. 7 • 5 p.m.
A&M-Commerce (4-0) vs. William Jewell (1-3)
Saturday, Sept. 8 • 9:30 a.m.
A&M-Commerce (4-0) vs. New Mexico Highlands (2-1)
Saturday, Sept. 8 • 2:30 p.m.
A&M-Commerce puts its undefeated mark on the line this weekend, getting set for another two-day, four-match invitational tournament. This week the Lions head to Stephenville for the 2012 Tarleton Volleyball Invitational, facing Ouachita Baptist and Southeastern Oklahoma State Friday before taking on William Jewell and New Mexico Highlands Saturday.
Robertson On The Verge of History
Senior middle blocker Rachel Robertson enters the weekend on the verge of history, recording 47 kills over the past weekend to sit at 999 career kills. She is currently tied for ninth-place on the all-time Lion kills list and should quickly become the ninth member of the 1,000-kill club this weekend.
Scouting Ouachita Baptist
2012: 0-4 overall, 0-0 Great American Conference
Last Three Matches: L vs. Tiffin (3-0); L vs. Lincoln Memorial (3-2): L vs. Christian Brothers (3-2)
Head Coach: Danny Prescott (Ouachita Baptist, 1998). Ninth season at Ouachita Baptist (109-150, .421)
• Megan Askew (Sr., MB): 35 kills, .121 hitting pct., 13 blocks
• Abby Pickett (Fr., RS): 33 kills, .230 hitting pct., 8 blocks
• Kelly Ballard (So., MB): 23 kills, .365 hitting pct., 12 blocks
• Savannah White (So., S): 80 assists, 6 kills, .125 hitting pct., 7 aces, 35 digs
• Allison Frizzell (Sr., L): 92 digs, 4 kills, .143 hitting pct., 4 aces
Series Information: A&M-Commerce has dominated the all-time series against Ouachita Baptist, holding a 17-1 edge dating back to 1981 and have won the last five against the Tigers, the last of which came in a 3-0 decision in Arkadelphia, Ark. in 2010.
Scouting Southeastern Oklahoma State
2012: 0-4 overall, 0-0 Great American Conference
Last Three Matches: L vs. Abilene Christian (3-0), L at St. Mary's (3-0), L vs. Midwestern State (3-0)
Head Coach: Jenn King (Siena, 2003). Third season at Southeastern Oklahoma State (24-39, .381)
• Emily Gentle (Jr., OH): 43 kills, .122 hitting pct., 31 digs, 1 block
• Megan Kunkel (Fr., OH): 36 kills, .068 hitting pct., 23 digs, 2 blocks
• Natasha Smith (Fr., MB): 11 kills, .150 hitting pct., 12 blocks
• Madelynne Cera (So., S): 85 assists, 16 kills, .203 hitting pct., 31 digs, 5 blocks
• Taylor Benner (Jr., L): 66 digs, 3 aces, 5 assists
Series Information: A&M-Commerce and Southeastern Oklahoma State meet for the 30 th time in the series history with the Lions holding a 20-9 edge in the all-time series. Former Lone Star Conference rivals, A&M-Commerce won last year's meeting in straight sets, snapping a three-match Savage Storm winning streak.
Scouting William Jewell
2012: 1-3 overall, 0-0 Great Lakes Valley Conference
Last Three Matches: L at Pittsburg State (3-1); W vs. Missouri Southern (3-2), L vs. Harding (3-1)
Head Coach: Allison Jones (William Woods, 2000). Eighth season at William Jewell.
• Hannah Herndon (Sr., OH): 47 kills, .237 hitting pct., 3 aces, 26 digs, 5 blocks
• Jordan Jackson (So., OH): 40 kills, .252 hitting pct., 13 blocks
• Christina Pratt (So., MB): 30 kills, .121 hitting pct., 21 blocks
• Cailynn Hayter (Jr., S): 83 assists, 12 kills, .476 hitting pct., 29 digs
• Katie Damgar (Jr., L): 83 digs, 5 aces, 5 assists
Series Information: Saturday marks the first-ever meeting between A&M-Commerce and William Jewell as the Cardinals are in their second season of competition in Division II.
Scouting New Mexico Highlands
2012: 2-1 overall, 0-0 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference
Last Three Matches: L at Texas Woman's (3-0); W vs. East Central (3-1); W vs. Central Oklahoma (3-1)
Head Coach: Bryan Crawford (Iowa Central, 2000). First season at New Mexico Highlands (2-1, .667); fourth season overall (81-35, .698)
• Darian Mullen (Jr., OH): 43 kills, .174 hitting pct., 3 aces, 34 digs, 3 blocks
• Marina Samoa (Jr., OH): 36 kills, .1443 hitting pct., 5 aces, 29 digs, 3 blocks
• Maria White (Jr., MB): 16 kills, .244 hitting pct., 2 aces, 8 blocks
• Rae Mulitalo (Jr., S): 107 assists, 4 kills, -.062 hitting pct., 3 aces, 24 digs
• Katie Saveedra (Jr., L): 51 digs, 4 aces
Series Information: A&M-Commerce and New Mexico Highlands meet for the fifth time Saturday with the Lions holding a 3-1 lead in the all-time series. The two teams last met in 2009 with A&M-Commerce scoring a 3-0 victory at the Angelo State Invitational.
The Week That Was
A&M-Commerce couldn't have asked for a better start to the 2012 season as the Lions won all 12 sets in competed in at the Henderson State Invitational, recording a quartet of 3-0 sweeps, despite having to play back-to-back matches each day. The Lions took 3-0 victories over Alabama-Huntsville and West Alabama Friday, then duplicated the feat with a pair of sweeps over LeMoyne-Owen and Henderson State Saturday, getting off to their best start since beginning 5-0 in 2003.
Robertson, Neal Named to All-Tournament Team, LSC Players of the Week
Senior middle blocker Rachel Robertson and junior setter Jordan Neal had impressive opening weekends for A&M-Commerce and were recognized for their efforts by being named to the Henderson State Invitational All-Tournament team as well as being tabbed Lone Star Conference Players of the Week. Robertson recorded 47 kills, a .500 hitting percentage and 13 blocks while Neal recorded 141 assists through the 12 sets, giving her an 11.75 average for the weekend to complement nine blocks.
Snyder, Moeller Play Key Roles for Lions on Opening Weekend
Senior Morgan Moeller and sophomore Breanne Snyder continued to play key roles for A&M-Commerce heading into the 2012 season as the duo came up big over the weekend for the Lions. Snyder recorded 32 kills, nine aces and 15 digs, including a season-best 15 kills in the victory over West Alabama. Moeller added 30 kills, a .240 hitting percentage, seven aces and four blocks over the weekend, leading the Lions against LeMoyne-Owen with 10 kills and four aces.
Following the Tarleton Volleyball Invitational this weekend, the Lions begin their 2012 Lone Star Conference slate, beginning on the road with a trip to South Texas. A&M-Commerce begins their LSC schedule at Incarnate Word, facing the Cardinals on Friday, September 14, then making the journey down to Kingsville to face the Javelinas on Saturday, September 15.